> I just yesterday found the out of print Origin of the Hobgoblin trade, which stops at #251, right before Secret Wars 1 and Saga of the Alien Costume. What are the other important issues that I should get?
> I already have the Saga of the Alien Costume paperback(which continues the Hob arc)and Amazing #260-#261, which directly follow it, and Spider-Man Vs. Wolverine #1, which I know is important to the Hob arc. Should I pick up anything else, like Amazing #277 and/or Gany Gang War?
Well, if you want the "real" Hobgoblin (Roderick Kingsley) and those most closely manipulated by him, these are the issues I'd argue you really need:
- Amazing Spider-Man 238, 239, 244, 245, 249-251, 259-261
- Peter Parker, Spectacular #85 (Goblin formula used, +Black Cat) - only if not in the "Origin of the Hobgoblin" TPB
- Amazing 275-278 (revealing Flash Thompson to be "the Hobgoblin" and some fall out there)
- Gang War arc (which ran ASM 284-288, but has the Ned as Hobby reveal in 289)
- Web of Spidey 29 (a bit of a Spidey/Wolverine sequel) and 30 (the Leeds/Rose connection "explained"
- Web of Spidey 38 (It's Macendale, so who cares, but it's a favorite amusing issue of mine)
- Hobgoblin Lives! 1-3 or TPB
BTW, the list above was compiled with the help of Spider-Fan.org's excellent characters list. I use it every chance I get.