Thursday, May 15, 2008

CA Supreme Court's Gay Marriage Decision

I know I haven't updated for a while, and I know this issue has little to do with Spider-Man. However, it's an important issue for me, so I wanted to note that the California Supreme Court has declared that any statute that makes a distinction between "opposite-sex" marriages and "same-sex" marriages is unconstitutional in that state.

Wow.

I support the majority's basic decision, and when reading the majority opinion, I found myself frequently nodding and muttering things like "Thank God someone understands this stuff" and "It's about time." To me, claiming that men and women should have equal rights and then limiting people's choices over who they can marry is contradictory. I'm ashamed to say my own state, Michigan, has enshrined such bigotry in its own constitution.

However, the most interesting part of the night's reading was Justice Carol A. Corrigan's dissenting opinion, which comes right at the end. She seems to agree that marriage should be for everyone, regardless of their gender or orientation. However, she presents sharp, to-the-point arguments against the majority's ruling and opinion. Hers is the first cogent argument that I've read that basically says, "The courts should not override the will of the people in this case."

I believe that gay marriage is a fundamental civil rights issue that will mark our times as times of ignorance and intolerance, with "anti-gay marriage" statutes and amendments being accorded the same place in history as "Jim Crow" laws, but Justice Corrigan really made me think. My hat is off to her even while I celebrate the "win" in the CA Supreme Court.

Check out the decision HERE.


Eric

1 comment:

Jared said...

A friendly suggestion, to any of your gay friends who want to get married but can't do so in Michigan, would be to come up to Canada. The previous Liberal government legalized it in the last year or two before they lost to the Conservatives in 2006, and it's pretty much a done deal here. Some of the Conservatives' backers might like to recant it, but there's no real public demand for it and it'd probably hurt the Tories' reelection chances big time in some parts of the country.

In fact, I've heard that a lot of the gays actually getting married up here are Americans crossing the border to get hitched when they can't do so in their own countries. You might have a bit of trouble finding someone to actually perform the ceremony, however, since the law we passed legalizing gay marriage also allows religious organizations to refuse to sanctify the marriage, based on their religious beliefs. There's a big divide within the Anglican Church up here over those priests who've decided to go ahead and santify the marriages anyway.

And finally, I hope Eric won't mind me backseat blogging, but in case the rest of the readers were wondering, the reason he hasn't updated in so long has a lot to do with real-life concerns, which obviously take priority. Also of note is that we're getting close to the Doc Ock/Aunt May marriage storyline, where May shines in all her senile, Alzheimer-inflicted dingbat glory. As you might expect, that's about as pleasant as a root canal without novocaine. Hence why you can understand Eric's lack of updates recently.