Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Switching from Android to iPhone 01: History

So, yeah... I'm switching from Android to iPhone.  I kind of thought I'd keep a little journal of what the switch is like and whether I'm likely to stick with it.

History
I've had a Samsung (Galaxy S) Captivate for the last two years, and it's served me well.  Before that I used the old combo of random cellphone + iPod Touch to work my digital life.  When I walked in to the AT&T store (AT&T is cheapest for me, believe it or not...) two years ago, I meant to buy a 32GB iPhone 4.  It was going to cost me $300 or more.  Instead, I walked out with a Samsung Captivate 16GB and promptly bought myself a 32GB memory card so that I had 16GB more storage than was available from Apple at the time.  Oh, yeah.  I also got the Samsung for $75 + $75 for the memory card, which was a fantastic deal at the time.

For the last two years, I've lived with a strange sense of iOS-envy.  Two years ago, Android wasn't as polished as it is now.  I currently own an Ice Cream Sandwich (4.01) based tablet, and I like it very much.  However, syncing my music was never nearly as seamless on Android as I'd have liked it to be.  I know many people hate iTunes, but I love it, personally.  I tried Doubletwist and Songbird to get away from it, but I couldn't. 

I eventually settled on a little program called iSyncr to get my Android phone to talk to iTunes.  I can't stress this enough:  JRTStudio, the developer of iSyncr, is a class act.  Considering the fragmentation that Android presents developers, they've never been anything but polite and helpful with any problems I've had, and I complain to those guys for even the smallest issue with iSyncr.  The program has improved by leaps and bounds, and it works just great on my ICS tablet while working quite well on my phone.

At the same time, I just felt out-of-the-loop by not having an iPhone or iPod Touch.  (I'd sold my iPod Touch G1 to a younger cousin of mine.)  It always seemed like iOS was smoother, easier, and all-around more efficient than the Gingerbread (2.3) that I was stuck with.  While Android 3 and 4 promised real improvement, I was stuck with 2.3 and its shortcomings.  I've been telling myself for two years that my next phone would be an iPhone, that I wouldn't skimp again.  I also decided it would be a kind of experiment to honestly compare both OSes.  I'm not a fanboy for either.  Android has some real advantages over iOS.  How would the two compare in my view?  I've been curious to find out.

No comments: