Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Switching from Android to iPhone 04: Second Impressions

So, yeah... I'm switching from Android to iPhone.  I kind of thought I'd keep a little journal of what the switch is like and whether I'm likely to stick with it.

Second Impressions
And so ends my first day of using the iPhone. I don't think the second day was as revelatory as the first, but here's what I noticed:
  1. Syncing over wifi might actually be easier on iOS after all.  I turned my computer on and started iTunes so that I could listen to music.  With absolutely no prompting from me, iTunes found the iPhone and synced with it.  I don't know how well that will work repeatedly, but that was pretty darned awesome.  Yesterday it seemed buggy.  Who knows?
  2. It seemed like I went through the battery quickly.  I have my brightness turned way down, but I know the iPhone can chew through cellular data very quickly.  I've apparently chewed through 20MB already TODAY.  Well, that's not going to continue.  I've just turned off cellular data.  I can connect when I need to by turning it back on.  Still, that's a bit disturbing, as I have used no more than 100MB per month in the past two years.
  3. I realize that music listening is strongly subjective (which is why HydrogenAudio makes such a big deal of requiring double-blind tests), but I'd swear that my music sounded better in the car.
  4. At the same time, this particular case (the Ballistic one) has a small and inflexible hole over the 3.5mm headphone jack.  I had to buy several cords at both Best Buy and Target before I found one that has a small enough "grip" to fit through the hole.  Now I get to go take the others back tomorrow.  (I use a double-male 3.5mm cord to connect to the AUX jack in my minivan.)
  5. Siri isn't nearly as cool as I thought she would be, even if she does call me "Batman."
  6. I took some photos and videos with the camera, and as I write this I'm realizing I don't know how to get them off the iPhone.  I thought I'd told iTunes to sync photos, but apparently that's not what "syncing photos" means.  I'm off to Google how to do this, since it's not patently obvious to me...

    Oh, well.  I didn't realize that the iPhone would actually deign to show up in Windows Explorer as a camera.  There those photos and videos are.  That took all of thirty seconds to figure out.  Hooray.  Now, let's see how they look...

    Meh.  Blurry despite good lighting and tap-to-focus.  Color still seems washed out.  I guess I won't be replacing my point-and-shoot anytime soon for "important" photos.  What a disappointment.
Well, other than the annoyance of having to redownload all my content for the various apps (Nook, Audible, etc.), it sure seems like I've got a smartphone.  I have to say that it's not as "cool" as I'd hoped it would be.  It's not like I expected an iPhone to solve all my problems and make me popular or anything, but the feeling of "I don't have an iPhone and I'm missing out" that I've had for all this time seems to have been false.  It's a good smartphone, but it's not head-and-shoulders above modern Android, even if it is smoother than my two-year-old Samsung Captivate.

Now, I know some of you are out there reading.  Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

No comments: